Home > Trainings \ Forums
TRAIN THE TRAINERSince 2013, Breaking the Silence / New Mexico has offered ten trainings to professionals and nonprofessionals interested in utilizing the BTS/NM curriculum in the classroom. We have also mentored a number of high school youth to present BTS/NM lessons to their peers.
Our objective is to train facilitators to present Breaking the Silence / New Mexico (BTS/NM)— two scripted 45-minute lessons on mental illness and suicide— to upper elementary, middle and high school students. The training prepares professionals and non-professionals to teach the introductory lessons, which provide the language necessary for teens to talk about the often taboo topic of mental illness.
The lesson is broken down into manageable segments. Included in the training are the manual and materials for presenting in the classroom. To join the team of dedicated BTS/NM presenters who are educating New Mexico youth about mental illness and suicide in Albuquerque, Rio Rancho, Bernalillo, Santa Fe, Española, Pojoaque, and Zuni Pueblo, please contact us @
COMMUNITY FORUMSThe Community Forum is designed as a necessary complement to our school-based program and grew by demand from school based health providers, school administrators and staff, parents, and community leaders. Our one to one and one-half hour forums are designed to fit the needs of each unique group that we are working with and,
- Use the power of personal story to challenge myths reinforcing stigma surrounding mental illness and suicide,
- Assist people to gain insight into support that individuals with an illness and their families need,
- Educate people to view mental illnesses like any chronic illness,
- Build the case for increasing student access to mental health education and professionals; and,
- Establish mental illness, suicide, and anti-stigma education as critical to health education.